Location: Rockville, MD and DC Metro Region
Are you interested in a job where you can influence and be immediately involved in a wide range of residential design and renovation projects? Do you love developing and drafting detailed architectural plans, but desire to work more directly with Homeowners? Do you want to be a part of a structured process and team where you play a key role in turning design concepts into actual built projects?
If you are passionate about residential design, and enjoy working with a diverse team and set of projects, Hammer might be the right fit for you.
Hammer is a fast growing residential design and build company, serving the Washington DC Metro region with high end renovations such as additions, whole home renovations, including kitchens and baths. We love thought leaders who know how to turn an idea into actionable steps, and we believe that through technology and process improvement, we can design, sell, and build some of the most beautiful and pragmatic renovations in our region. We don’t believe in just achieving the industry norm of our peers and competitors, we strive for ways to improve our people, systems, and end products.
The Architectural Designer is critical to our business. You will have a direct involvement and impact on the success of our individual projects and the company as a whole. So if you’re highly motivated and love to make an impact, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
Does this sound like you?
We need an Architectural Designer who will help lead the development and execution of Hammer’s pipeline of renovation projects. In this role you will:
- Be the bridge between conceptual design and build ready construction plans, aka: turning our senior designers’ design-concept packages into fully permitted plan sets, architectural construction plan sets, shop drawings, and finish / fixture layouts.
- Accurately document and draft the existing conditions for projects, followed by taking the senior designer’s design-concept and drafting the necessary construction documents for permitting and field use
- Research, create, and draft solutions for various architectural problems, details, and/or shop drawings to successfully transition the design concept to a ‘buildable’ project
- Manage the relationship with the Hammer client throughout the preconstruction process, meeting with them to review, edit, and approval all drafted plans, including necessary or suggested changes
- Be the key point of contact to the Hammer client during the preconstruction phase, by providing clear and consistent communication, establishing aggressive but attainable expectations, providing expert guidance, and assertive leadership to help stakeholders and the Homeowners meet objectives and deadlines.
- Successfully (accurately, completely, efficiently) expedite required building permits for your projects, aka: identify permitting requirements, draft and compile necessary plans and supporting documents, hire and manage required professional engineers and surveyors, apply and submit for required permits, and complete and/or manage required review comment responses.
- Own and develop the process to meet objectives and deadlines by working with stakeholders from the sales, estimating, project design, professional engineers, and production teams.
- Own and protect the integrity of the projects’ design, scope, and budget.
- Be the problem solver. Whether that’s a late conference call, early morning jobsite meeting, extra research, sketching details, editing construction plans, emailing, texting, sending smoke signals, and/or ________ (you’ll need to come up with your own idea here) -- all to help your team get the job done.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in leveraging their architectural experience to take the next step in their career to gain exposure and direct influence over a wide range of interior renovations, additions, and whole home projects.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- 5+ years in residential architectural design experience. We will help you grow your knowledge base on different architectural products and construction methods, but you must come ready with a confident background in how an addition or kitchen goes together. If you don’t know the difference between a crawlspace foundation, a slab on grade, and a frameless box construction cabinet, this may not be for you.
- Proficient and confident in Revit (you enjoy the program, know you are good at it, and want to get even better). If you’re awesome at AutoCad and are prepared to make the ‘jump’ to Revit, we’d like to talk to you as well.
- An Architecture degree is a plus, but extensive hands on experience can be just as (or more) impressive.
- Experienced in residential remodeling/construction phases and architectural construction systems (i.e. foundations, framing, MEPs, etc) and/or kitchen/bath systems (i.e. cabinetry, tile, fixtures, etc)
- Confident in reviewing, editing, and creating architectural plans and details.
- Comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines, across multiple projects, simultaneously. It’s a mouthful, but we mean it.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that is a combination of virtual and in person. Our projects are primarily in the District and nearby. We love our home offices, but seeing you in person is nice too.
- Thrives working autonomously. Enjoys independence and trust, but appreciates and believes in the power of the ‘team.’
- Not shy or afraid to engage, own, and solve problems rapidly. We move quickly, so we’ll expect the same of you.
- Motivated by a company culture that always seeks improvement and rewards those who achieve it for themselves and the company as a whole.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a team who cares about you, not just your output. We value people, we value their families. Work is work, it’s why we're here, it’s why you are reading this job posting of course. But our families, at home and ‘in the office,’ come first.
Work with a team who puts people before money. This means integrity, humility, and compassion are at the top of our minds at all times. We are here to do serious business in the remodeling industry, but never at the expense of our values.
Enjoy autonomy and trust. This job is not for clock-watchers. When you can get the job done and done well, we believe you will know how to best manage your time and stakeholders.
Work with a supportive and expert team, all interested in seeing you learn, grow, and champion your job.
Plenty of room for growth. Whether that’s your expertise, compensation, or both, we are all for it. We started in 2004 and are still passionate about growing our people, our portfolio, and our company as a whole. Every person on the team has a direct impact on the top and bottom lines of the company and therefore, every person has the ability to build their own next opportunity here at Hammer.
- Health insurance premium stipend
- Dental and vision insurance
- Data and internet stipend
- Flexible working hours, mix of office and virtual (work from home)
- Rockville office is in a modern and private coworking space fitted with an arcade, coffee bar, white board room, and tv lounge areas.
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment (based on role)
- 5 paid holidays plus paid days off for the Friday after Thanksgiving and from December 24th to January 31st.
- 10 paid time off days (per year) that start accruing the day you start
Anyway, if all this sounds like your cup of tea then APPLY! We look forward to hearing from you.
JOB APPLICATION FORM
To comply and fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of the company following the established guidelines to the best of our abilities.
To treat the company, its employees, associates, and clients in the same manner as we would have them treat ourselves - with understanding and consideration for the views and options of the company and others.
To cultivate and practice a mindset and pattern of being flexible, available, and teachable in the corporate environment - a positive demeanor.
To work and perform in all situations with the highest level of personal and corporate ethics, character, and honesty.
To work with a demeanor of gratefulness and grace.
To strive to perform every task, from the smallest to the largest, with the highest level of quality, distinction, virtue.
Respectful and timely communication will be considered and practiced as one of the highest priorities and best tools for effectively maintaining a productive, healthy, and respectful work environment.