Residential Remodeling Estimator
Residential Remodeling Estimator
Location: Rockville, MD and DC Metro Region
Are you interested in a job where you can leverage your construction and technology experience from ‘behind the computer’ and immediately influence a wide range of residential design and renovation projects? Do you love the ins and outs of construction, and can envision how things get built just by looking at a set of design sketches? Do you want to be a part of a structured process and team where you play a key role in turning design concepts into actual built projects?
If you are passionate about residential design and construction, are confident in your experience as an estimator, and love helping people get the plan ‘right from the beginning,’ Hammer might be the right fit for you.
Hammer is a fast-growing residential design and build company, serving the Washington DC Metro region with high-end renovations such as additions, whole home renovations, kitchens, and baths. We love leaders who know how to turn an idea into actionable steps, and we believe that through technology and process improvement, we can design, sell, and build some of the most beautiful and pragmatic renovations in our region. We don’t believe in just achieving the industry norm of our peers and competitors, we strive for ways to improve our people, systems, and end products.
The Residential Remodeling Estimator is critical to our business. You will have direct involvement and impact on the success of our individual projects and the company as a whole. So if you’re highly motivated and love to make an impact, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
Does this sound like you?
We need a Residential Remodeling Estimator who will help lead the accurate and efficient estimating of Hammer’s pipeline of renovation projects, as well as continue the development and improvement of Hammer’s costing and estimating process. In this role you will:
- Meld construction experience, creativity, and number crunching together to work directly with the senior designers (sales) to review design concept plans and provide feedback, ‘redlines,’ questions, and/or recommendations to ensure the feasibility of construction, costs, and achieving the sale.
- Utilize estimating and plan review softwares, current and new, to turn the senior designers’ design concepts into complete, accurate scopes of work with job cost estimates – all in a timely manner, updating them and providing alternative scope and cost options throughout the sales process.
- Turn scopes of work and design concepts into take-offs, internal cost estimates, and trade contractor requests for proposals.
- Create, update, and maintain a database of relevant construction materials, selections, and trade contractor costs through regular communication with vendors, the design team, the production team, and trade contractors.
- Be the bridge between conceptual design and build-ready construction projects- through teaching and handing off the scope of works and cost estimates to the pre-construction design team and production teams.
- Provide estimates for requested and/or required change orders to the original client agreement during the pre-construction and construction phases.
- Research, create, and document solutions for various design or construction problems to ensure a ‘buildable’ and profitable project
- Regularly communicate and problem-solve directly with project managers and trade contractors to ensure a successful project. You will achieve this by having scopes of work that are complete, accurate, and easy to understand, with estimated cost values consistent with the level of trade contractors our projects demand
- Own and develop a process to meet objectives and deadlines by working with stakeholders from the sales, project design, vendors, and production teams.
- Own and protect the integrity of the project's design, scope, and budget.
- Be the problem solver. Whether that’s a late conference call, early morning jobsite meeting, extra research, sketching details, editing construction plans, emailing, texting, sending smoke signals, and/or ________ (you’ll need to come up with your own idea here) -- all to help your team get the job done.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in leveraging their love for construction and getting things right. A position to take the next step in your career to gain exposure and collaborate with the entire design-build team over a wide range of interior renovations, additions, and whole home projects.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- 5+ years of direct residential construction estimating or job costing experience, above/beyond construction trade or field experience. We will help you grow your knowledge base of current costs in the marketplace, but you MUST be able to build a project in your mind as you review plans and prepare an estimate.
- Confident in using technology – you enjoy the organization, quick access, and accuracy that utilizing software brings to a craft as old as time. Yellow pad estimates are not frowned upon, but we need someone who can use the programs we have on board now, make them even better, and even bring on new ones. We love using programs like Bluebeam, Google Drive / Sheets, and Clear Estimates, but are always willing to upgrade to something better for the whole team.
- A construction estimating certificate, construction management, or architecture degree is nice, but extensive hands-on experience can be just as (or more) impressive.
- Well-versed and seasoned in residential remodeling/construction phases and architectural construction systems (i.e. foundations, framing, MEPs, etc) and/or kitchen/bath systems (i.e. cabinetry, tile, fixtures, etc).
- Very confident in reviewing, editing, and creating architectural plans and details.
- Comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines, across multiple projects simultaneously. It’s a mouthful, but we mean it.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that is both virtual and in-person. Our projects are primarily in the District and nearby. We love our home offices, but seeing you regularly in person is nice too (and required).
- Enjoys a work environment balanced with autonomy and collaboration. Enjoys independence and trust, but appreciates and believes in the power of the ‘team.’
- Not shy or afraid to engage, own, and solve problems rapidly. We move quickly, so we’ll expect the same of you.
- Motivated by a company culture that always seeks improvement and rewards those who achieve it for themselves and for the company as a whole.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a team who cares about you, not just your output. We value people and their families. Work is work, it’s why we're here, and it’s why you are reading this job posting of course. But our families, at home and ‘in the office,’ come first.
Work with a team who puts people before money. This means integrity, humility, and compassion are at the top of our minds at all times. We are here to do serious business in the remodeling industry, but never at the expense of our values.
Enjoy autonomy and trust. This job is not for clock-watchers. When you can get the job done and done well, we believe you will know how to best manage your time and stakeholders.
Work with a supportive and expert team, all interested in seeing you learn, grow, and champion your job.
Plenty of room for growth. Whether that’s your expertise, compensation, or both, we are all for it. We started in 2004 and are still passionate about growing our people, our portfolio, and our company as a whole. Every person on the team has a direct impact on the top and bottom lines of the company and therefore, every person has the ability to build their own next opportunity here at Hammer.
- Health insurance premium stipend
- Dental and vision insurance
- Data and internet stipend
- Flexible working hours, a mix of office and virtual (work from home)
- Rockville office is in a modern and private coworking space fitted with an arcade, coffee bar, whiteboard room, and tv lounge areas.
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment (based on role)
- 5 paid holidays plus paid days off for the Friday after Thanksgiving, December 24th, and January 31st.
- 10 paid time off days (per year) that start accruing the day you start
- 1 additional paid day off for every consecutive 12 months of employment to be used for birthday, subsequent earned day(s) off to be used for immediate family member(s) birthday(s)
Anyway, if all this sounds like your cup of tea then APPLY! We look forward to hearing from you.
JOB APPLICATION FORM
To comply and fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of the company following the established guidelines to the best of our abilities.
To treat the company, its employees, associates, and clients in the same manner as we would have them treat ourselves - with understanding and consideration for the views and options of the company and others.
To cultivate and practice a mindset and pattern of being flexible, available, and teachable in the corporate environment - a positive demeanor.
To work and perform in all situations with the highest level of personal and corporate ethics, character, and honesty.
To work with a demeanor of gratefulness and grace.
To strive to perform every task, from the smallest to the largest, with the highest level of quality, distinction, virtue.
Respectful and timely communication will be considered and practiced as one of the highest priorities and best tools for effectively maintaining a productive, healthy, and respectful work environment.