Residential Architecture & Design Manager
Residential Architecture & Design Manager
Location: Rockville, MD and DC Metro Region
Are you interested in a job where you can influence and manage a wide range of residential design and renovation projects? Do you love working directly with Homeowners, but are equally passionate about leading a structured process to see design concepts turn efficiently into actual built out projects? If you are passionate about residential design, and enjoy managing a diverse team and set of projects, Hammer might be the right fit for you.
Hammer is a fast growing residential design and build company, serving the Washington DC Metro region with high end renovations such as additions, kitchens, bathrooms, and whole homes. We love thought leaders who know how to turn an idea into actionable steps, and we believe that through technology and process improvement, we can design, sell, and build some of the most beautiful and functional renovations in our region. We don’t believe in just achieving the industry norm of our peers and competitors, we strive for ways to improve our people, systems, and end products.
The Architecture & Design Manager is critical to our business. You will have a direct impact on the success of our individual projects and the company as a whole. So if you’re highly motivated and love to make an impact, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
Does this sound like you?
We need a Manager who will help lead the development and execution of Hammer’s pipeline of Architecture and Design projects. In this role you will:
- Be the bridge between conceptual design and build ready construction plans, aka: fully permitted plan sets, architectural construction plan sets, shop drawings, and finish / fixture layouts.
- Own and develop the process to meet objectives and deadlines by working with stakeholders from the sales, estimating, project design, professional engineers, drafters, and construction teams.
- Own and protect the integrity of the projects’ design, scope, and budget.
- Be the key point of contact to project Homeowners during the preconstruction phase, by providing clear and consistent communication, establishing aggressive but attainable expectations, providing expert guidance, and assertive leadership to help stakeholders and the Homeowners meet objectives and deadlines.
- Be the problem solver. Whether that’s a late conference call, early morning jobsite meeting, extra research, sketching details, editing construction plans, emailing, texting, sending smoke signals, and/or ________ (you’ll need to come up with your own idea here) -- all to help your team get the job done.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in leveraging their architectural experience to take the next step in their career to gain exposure and direct influence over a wide range of interior renovations, additions, and whole home projects.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- 7+ years in residential architectural design experience. We will help you grow your knowledge base on different architectural products and construction methods, but you must come ready with a confident background in how an addition or kitchen goes together. If you don’t know the difference between a crawlspace foundation, a slab on grade, and a frameless box construction cabinet, this may not be for you.
- An Architecture or Interior Design degree is a plus, but extensive hands on experience can be just as (or more) impressive.
- Experienced in residential remodeling/construction phases and architectural construction systems (i.e. foundations, framing, MEPs, etc) and/or kitchen/bath systems (i.e. cabinetry, tile, fixtures, etc)
- Proficient in a drafting program such as AutoCad, Revit, or Chief Architect. The ability to draft construction plans is a plus.
- Confident in reviewing, editing, and even creating architectural details.
- Comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines, across multiple projects, simultaneously. It’s a mouthful, but we mean it.
- Able to work in a fast-paced (primarily) virtual environment, but readily available to meet in person and onsite (DC Metro region, aka the DMV) with project stakeholders and/or Homeowners as part of the preconstruction process. We love our home offices, but seeing you in person is nice too.
- Thrives working autonomously, but appreciates and believes in the power of the ‘team.’
- Not shy or afraid to engage, own, and solve problems rapidly. We move quickly, so we’ll expect the same of you.
- Motivated by a company culture that always seeks improvement and rewards those who achieve it for themselves and company as a whole.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a team who cares about you, not just your output. We value people, we value their families. Work is work, it’s why we're here, it’s why you are reading this job posting of course. But our families, at home and ‘in the office,’ come first.
Work with a team who puts people before money. This means integrity, humility, and compassion are at the top of our minds at all times. We are here to do serious business in the remodeling industry, but never at the expensive of our values.
Enjoy autonomy and trust. This job is not for clock-watchers. When you can get the job done and done well, we believe you will know how to best manage your time and stakeholders.
Work with a supportive and expert team, all interested in seeing you learn, grow, and champion your job.
Plenty of room for growth. Whether that’s your expertise, compensation, or both, we are all for it. We started in 2004 and are still passionate about growing our people, our portfolio, and our company as a whole. Every person on the team has a direct impact on the top and bottom lines of the company and therefore, every person has the ability to build their own next opportunity here at Hammer.
- Health insurance premium stipend
- Dental and vision insurance
- Data and internet stipend
- Flexible working hours, primarily virtual (work from home)
- Rockville office is in a modern and private coworking space (one of 4 companies) fitted with an arcade, coffee bar, white board room, and tv lounge areas.
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment (based on role)
- 5 paid holidays plus paid days off for the Friday after Thanksgiving and from December 24th to January 31st.
- 10 paid time off days (per year) that start accruing the day you start
Anyway, if all this sounds like your cup of tea then APPLY using the form below! We look forward to hearing from you.
JOB APPLICATION FORM
To comply and fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of the company following the established guidelines to the best of our abilities.
To treat the company, its employees, associates, and clients in the same manner as we would have them treat ourselves - with understanding and consideration for the views and options of the company and others.
To cultivate and practice a mindset and pattern of being flexible, available, and teachable in the corporate environment - a positive demeanor.
To work and perform in all situations with the highest level of personal and corporate ethics, character, and honesty.
To work with a demeanor of gratefulness and grace.
To strive to perform every task, from the smallest to the largest, with the highest level of quality, distinction, virtue.
Respectful and timely communication will be considered and practiced as one of the highest priorities and best tools for effectively maintaining a productive, healthy, and respectful work environment.