Residential Project Designer
Residential Project Designer
Location: Rockville, MD and DC Metro Region
Do you love all things residential design? Do you delight in coordinating the perfect tile patterns and detailing the perfect millwork and cabinetry layouts? If you are passionate about residential design, and organizing and ‘making your mark’ on a wide range of high end design and build projects, Hammer might be the right fit for you.
Hammer is a fast growing residential design and build company, serving the Washington DC Metro region with high end renovations such as additions, kitchens, bathrooms, and whole homes. We love thought leaders who know how to turn an idea into actionable steps, and we believe that through technology and process improvement, we can design, sell, and build some of the most beautiful and functional renovations in our region. We don’t believe in just achieving the industry norm of our peers and competitors, we strive for ways to improve our people, systems, and end products.
The Project Designer is critical to our business. You will have a direct impact on the success of our individual projects and the company as a whole. You will lead, influence, and design your projects’ finishes, fixtures, and final architectural elements. So if you’re highly motivated and love to make an impact through your design and working with people, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
Does this sound like you?
We need a Project Designer who will lead in completing the design of Hammer’s sold design-build projects. In this role you will:
- Work alongside the senior design team to transition sold projects (aka conceptual architectural designs, scopes of work, and budgets) to fully designed renovations that are ready to mobilize and construct.
- Own all facets of the influence, design, and final selection of a project's finishes, fixtures, and final architectural elements. From tile and grout, to cabinetry and custom millwork, to windows and doors -- you will be responsible for the project Homeowners’ approval of all selections. This is a lot of moving parts, but works through a structured process that includes meeting with Homeowners, visiting local showrooms, visiting job sites, curating sample boards or packages, getting vendor quotes, getting Homeowner approvals through software like Buildertrend, and working with the senior design team to compile the final design package to deliver to the production team.
- Own and develop the process to meet objectives and deadlines by working with stakeholders from the sales, estimating, vendors, drafters, and construction teams.
- Own and protect the integrity of the projects’ design, scope, and budget.
- Be a key point of contact to project Homeowners during the preconstruction phase, by providing clear and consistent communication, establishing aggressive but attainable expectations, providing expert guidance, and collaborating with stakeholders and the Homeowners to meet objectives and deadlines.
- Be the problem solver. Whether that’s a late conference call, early morning jobsite meeting, extra research, sketching details, dropping off samples, emailing, texting, sending smoke signals, and/or ________ (you’ll need to come up with your own idea here) -- all to help your team get the job done.
This is an incredible opportunity for anyone interested in designing residential projects rather than simply driving overall project sales. There’s plenty of room for selling add-ons and upgrades to existing clients, but you will spend your time primarily focused on the project’s design. Leverage your design experience to take the next step in your career to gain exposure and direct influence over a wide range of interior renovations, additions, and whole home projects.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- 5+ years in residential design experience. We will help you grow your knowledge base on different products, but you must come ready with a confident background in what components are necessary to put together a room, such as a kitchen or bathroom. If you don’t know the difference between a thermostatic valve and a pressure balance valve or a framed and a frameless cabinet, this may not be for you.
- Experienced in not only designing products and their layouts, but also in planning/detailing/communicating how to feasibly build it in the field.
- An Architecture or Interior Design degree is a plus, but extensive hands on experience can be just as (or more) impressive.
- Experienced in residential remodeling/construction phases and/or kitchen/bath systems (i.e. cabinetry, tile, fixtures, etc)
- Confident in reviewing and marking up architectural plans and details.
- Experienced in using drafting or modeling programs such as AutoCad, Revit, or Chief Architect to present product design layout for items like cabinetry, tile, or plumbing fixtures. The ability to sketch your idea out by hand is well handy too.
- Comfortable with meeting demanding deadlines, across multiple projects, simultaneously. It’s a mouthful, but we mean it.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that is a mix of virtual and office time (Rockville), but also readily available to meet in person and onsite (DC Metro region, aka the DMV) with project stakeholders and/or Homeowners as part of the project design process. We love our home offices, but Homeowners and the rest of the team will enjoy seeing you in person too.
- Thrives working autonomously, but appreciates and believes in the power of the ‘team.’
- Not shy or afraid to engage, own, and solve problems rapidly. We move quickly, so we’ll expect the same of you.
- Motivated by a company culture that always seeks improvement and rewards those who achieve it for themselves and company as a whole.
What’s in it for you?
Work with a team who cares about you, not just your output. We value people, we value their families. Work is work, it’s why we're here, it’s why you are reading this job posting of course. But our families, at home and ‘in the office,’ come first.
Work with a team who puts people before money. This means integrity, humility, and compassion are at the top of our minds at all times. We are here to do serious business in the remodeling industry, but never at the expensive of our values.
Enjoy autonomy and trust. This job is not for clock-watchers. When you can get the job done and done well, we believe you will know how to best manage your time and stakeholders.
Work with a supportive and expert team, all interested in seeing you learn, grow, and champion your job.
Plenty of room for growth. Whether that’s your expertise, responsibilities, compensation, or all of the above -- we are all for it. We started in 2004 and are still passionate about growing our people, our portfolio, and our company as a whole. Every person on the team has a direct impact on the top and bottom lines of the company and therefore, every person has the ability to build their own next opportunity here at Hammer.
- Health insurance premium stipend
- Dental and vision insurance
- Data and internet stipend
- Flexible working hours, primarily virtual (work from home)
- Rockville office is in a modern and private coworking space (one of 4 companies) fitted with an arcade, coffee bar, white board room, and tv lounge areas.
- Company-provided laptop and monitor for use throughout your employment (based on role)
- 5 paid holidays plus paid days off for the Friday after Thanksgiving and from December 24th to January 31st.
- 10 paid time off days (per year) that start accruing the day you start
Anyway, if all this sounds like your cup of tea then APPLY by filling out the form below! We look forward to hearing from you.
To comply and fulfill the requirements and responsibilities of the company following the established guidelines to the best of our abilities.
To treat the company, its employees, associates, and clients in the same manner as we would have them treat ourselves - with understanding and consideration for the views and options of the company and others.
To cultivate and practice a mindset and pattern of being flexible, available, and teachable in the corporate environment - a positive demeanor.
To work and perform in all situations with the highest level of personal and corporate ethics, character, and honesty.
To work with a demeanor of gratefulness and grace.
To strive to perform every task, from the smallest to the largest, with the highest level of quality, distinction, virtue.
Respectful and timely communication will be considered and practiced as one of the highest priorities and best tools for effectively maintaining a productive, healthy, and respectful work environment.
Design Build Project Gallery Washington DC
Browse our portfolio of gorgeous home renovations, custom kitchens and bathrooms in the Washington D.C. area. Hammer Contractors loves to create and install beautiful designs in your home. We love seeing how a custom remodel or home renovation project can transform your living space. Please explore the design and remodeling portfolio and find amazing ideas for you to consider for your home renovations project.